Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Donuts

Gluten Free Living: Bisquits and Donuts
Bisquits are one of the foods I have yet to find a great solution for. I have made some that were ok, but none that were as good as the bisquits I make with gluten flour.

Last week I made some with Jules Gluten Free flour. I have made some really yummy things with Jules Flour. The bisquits were good, but they were not really the taste and texture we were going for. They weren't flaky but rather like the consistency of a thick shortbread.

Last night, I made some bisquits using Namaste bisquit and piecrust mix. Again, I love Namaste. We make brownies and cakes with Namaste mixes that are really good. But, the bisquits were not what I was hoping for. The consistancy was good, much like my gluten bisquits, but something about the taste was off. Now, I didn't follow the recipe exactly because it called for herbs and I was going for a breakfast bisquit, but I dont' think that was it. They were fine with some jelly or honey, but I am still looking for a bisquit that tastes good on it's own.

I have made bisquits using my standard recipe and substituting a gluten free flour mix and they were ok, but not the same. I guess I will keep working on this food item!

Donuts are another of those items that we all miss. Most donuts do not fit into either the Feingold or Gluten Free diet. Kinnikinnick makes a very yummy donut. They come frozen in a box of 6. They have vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon sugar and maple. We all enjoy them, though I try to reserve them for Jessica mostly! They fit into both of our diets. They are small compared to your average donut and a bit pricey (but average when you consider they are gluten free). I keep a box in the freezer for quick breakfasts or snacks, but we try not to eat them often. I can get these at Dierbergs or Nutrition Stop, locally.




Recently, I discovered some donut pans at Amazon and decided to try one out. My pan arrived this week and I made some last night using the recipe that came with it. I substituted a mixture of Jules and Namaste flour for the regular flour. They came out really good and disappeared quickly! It made less than a dozen with the recipe I used. I am going to play around with it more and see what varieties we can come up with. For a cake donut this will do very nicely. They were declared a great success.

The hardware

The software

The end results


Next, I need to work on a gluten free fried donut. We have made donuts before using Alton Brown's recipe, but not gluten free. I am going to have to work on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment