Monday, March 29, 2010

Gluten Free Graham Crackers

I had been promising the kids that we would make a snack with marshmallows, peanut butter and graham crackers last week. I had been putting it off because I didn't have any crackers for Jessica. Finally Wen Alex talked me into doing it. I was going to run to the store and buy some GF crackers when I realized that I had a bag of Jules Gluten Free Graham Cracker mix in my pantry and decided to give it a try. It definitely made the snack a bit more time intensive, but it was worth it to try out this new mix.

In addition to the mix, I needed vanilla, butter, honey and water.

The mix includes a flour mixture and brown sugar.
I creamed the butter and the sugar together.
Added the honey and vanilla and mixed.
Then added the water until if formed a ball. (Still mixing here.) I accidently added a little too much water and so I grabbed my Jules flour mix and added some in until the dough firmed back up. I was worried that might alter the taste, but it came out fine.
After rolling out to 1/4 inch thick, I used a pizza cutter to cut into rectangles. I have several pizza cutters on hand because they are wonderful for cutting all kinds of things.
Pricked with a fork. I added some cinnamon sugar to some of them.
Baked for 20 minutes. They came out good. Though 1/4 inch does make a thick cracker. But, considering how some GF crackers on the market can be a bit small, this makes for a nice sized, sturdy cracker for topping with peanut butter, or chocolate and marshmallows. :-)
Jessica approves!
We topped hers with her white chocolate peanut butter and marshmallows and toasted. Notice her jar of pb is clearly marked gf. No one else uses her pb jars. This eliminates cross contamination that could occur if someone dipped their knife back in after spreading on something with gluten.

I purchased my mix at Andrea's Fine Foods. I think I paid $6-7 for it. I see Jules carries for abotu $10. So it is very pricey for graham crackers. I wouldn't buy this for a staple. But, they would make great crackers for doing gingerbread houses. In fact, I think I may try this mix with my pampered chef gingerbread train mold. The mix also makes gingersnaps if you add some spices. They were very yummy and had a good texture and were pretty easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment